November 23, 2011

The Last of the Mohicans: My Favourite Movie



 

I have watched “The Last of the Mohicans” 46 times – and I am sure I will watch it again.

On that basis alone I have to give it the title of “My Favourite Movie”.
The historical movie is one of my favourite genres. I also like old musicals!

This is not a happy movie so it doesn’t make me happy to watch it but it is a great experience.

In hindsight, and after reading much, it gives the viewer an idea of the fate awaiting Native Americans and many of us know how that turned out.

If you don’t know, trying reading “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee”.

One of the first movies ever to portray Native Americans in a positive way was “Dances With Wolves” which is also a favourite of mine but I have not watched it nearly as often.
It was released before “The Last of the Mohicans”.

Why do I like this movie?

It has everything: great story, great characters – even the villains, drama, betrayal, romance, action, educational elements, great actors, excellent production values and a superb soundtrack which I still listen to after all these years.

Not to mention eye candy for the ladies!


Cast :
One very memorable scene between Cora and Major Duncan has this line.

She tells him after she has rejected his proposal to her:
“I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgment”.
Think about that for a minute. It is quite profound.
Is it saying listen to your higher self?

The clip above is mine - just a way of expressing my appreciation.

Update: The Last of the Mohicans: Director's Definitive Cut (Blu-ray). Now available.

                                                            


The Book Every Movie Lover Should Own:David Thomson’s New Biographical Dictionary of Film

Hollywood's 100 Favorite Films


Top 10 Movie Sets Ever Built



More on Literature: 
'The Great Gatsby': Seven Life Lessons
Shakespeare First Folio found on Scottish Isle of Bute
The Musketeers
Mysterious 'Man in the Iron Mask' Revealed
Father Of Anne Frank Listed As Co-Author Of Diary To Extend Copyright
William Shakespeare is still a relevant literary voice.
Queen Marks Magna Carta Anniversary
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s Press Pass for the Spanish Civil War Found
Superheroes Of The Ancient World 
Who Was Cleopatra? 
The Untold Truth About The Holy Grail