May 01, 2012

Beautiful Butterflies





                               
I am not a great lover of insects or spiders. Any one who knows me knows I am totally arachnophobic.
However, I do love butterflies! Almost all of them are fascinating. 
And I can tolerate lady birds also.
An ‘occupational hazard’ of being a school teacher is the fact that often pupils will bring insects or spiders in jars for “Show and Tell'” time.
Two such occasions stand out. 
One was a jar full of Huntsman spiders – allegedly not harmful – but the sight of which was enough to make me quite nauseous!
The second, and most amazing, was when a pupil brought in two specimens of the chrysalis of the Monarch or Wanderer butterfly.
We kept them in an old fish tank which was covered with fly wire and watched the entire process. 
I will never forget it because back then I had never seen anything like it.
It was a fabulous experience for myself and the class. 

And I have never seen it since!
Thanks to You Tube I can now “re-live” that experience!